Friday, May 11, 2012

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

I'm going to the Red Sox game tonight and my primary concern is staying awake past the first inning.  I've been walking-through-a-field-of-enchanted-poppies tired lately.  I started drinking iced coffee this week and may have a full-blown addiction after just a few days.  I plan to upgrade from a small to a medium this afternoon so I will be alert enough to score some Fenway soft serve in a tiny batting helmet tonight.  The Sox are having a rough season, so the ice cream is likely to be a game highlight.  (As well as the company of course.)



And because you are dying to know, here are my three favorite baseball movies:

3) Field of Dreams ("If you build it, he will come.")
It isn't the father/son stuff that gets me, it is the scene when Doc Graham walks off the field to save Karin.
  

2) A League of Their Own ("There's no crying in baseball!")
The only problem with this movie, as far as I'm concerned, is that Lori Petty/Kit Keller is insufferable.



1) The Sandlot ("For-ev-er.")
Obviously.  The Dude and I could probably perform this movie from start to finish.  We watched it roughly 17,000 times in the mid-90s.



3 comments:

  1. Oh man, awesome video clips.

    "Avoid the clap."

    "If my dog was as ugly as you, I'd shave its butt and teach him to walk backwards."

    Classic lines.

    Forgot about Doc on Field of Dreams. That movie gets to me. Great film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of those little helmets that my friend Jennifer sent me a couple of years ago after a visit to Boston. She had been toying with going to a game on the Sunday of the week she was there and I told her to avoid that game like the plague because that useless sack of suck Lackey was pitching and to go the following night because Beckett was on the mound. Result: she witnessed a riotous game against Cleveland and a huge bench-clearing brawl (and a Red Sox win).

    Interesting movie choices. Mine would be:

    3) The Rookie
    2) For Love Of The Game
    1) Bull Durham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sox actually won the game I went to. And I couldn't tell you who they were playing unless I went and found the ticket in my wallet. Two more Costner baseball flicks. If only someone would comment about enjoying Chasing Dreams and The Upside of Anger, that would cover his entire baseball movie catalog.

      Delete