Wednesday, May 9, 2012

La Blog Bohème

Okay, I cannot compete with The Dude's posts.  His discussion of Grease made me laugh out loud.  I think it was totally normal that we used to duet on "Summer Loving" when we were in elementary school.  Last month The Dude was staying with me while his apartment was being renovated and I played a portion of the Judge John Hodgman podcast for him where Hodgman discusses the date rapey lyric, "Did she put up a fight?"  Shout out to our mother for exposing us to really classy material in our early years.  I think she ran Grease on a constant loop to distract us so she could have a turn on original flavor Super Mario Brothers/Nintendo.

Grease was the first of many musicals we enjoyed together.  Newsies got a lot of love in our home in our tween years.  We've seen Spamalot, Avenue Q, Jersey BoysWicked, and Hairspray together.  And of course Rent.  The Dude was absolutely obsessed with Rent after he saw the movie.  He listened to the soundtrack nonstop and saw it live multiple times.  There was a period of time several years ago when he would return home from business trips and demand that I blast a song from Rent so he could sing it on his way up the stairs, thus entering the house in a good mood.  His stair work to "Out Tonight" was top notch.  Over a decade after our inappropriate "Summer Loving" duets, it came to pass that we would often sing "Light My Candle" together as adult siblings.  Super weird but undeniably entertaining, as The Dude of course performed the Mimi portion of the song so he could belt "They say that I have the best ass" at the top of his lungs.

3 comments:

  1. I've gotta get back into Rent. Ever since you moved out the musicals have disappeared from both a viewing and listening perspective.

    Actually, I have a Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons station on Pandora since Jersey Boys. Solid group and songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herself: it's "Summer Nights", you heretic :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even say it was a slip since I called it "Summer Loving" twice.

      Delete