Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day......?

Based on the online chatter it seems as though the youth of today do not know the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.  People are thanking those who are serving in our military and keeping us safe (currently and alive).  Incorrect, that is what Veterans Day is for - to thank the living.  Today should be a day of remembrance for the men and women who lost their lives serving in the armed forces.  Generally that includes visits to national war memorials and throwing down some flags at cemeteries.  Herself lives 2 blocks down from a large cemetery and I'm sure she has been there since 7am cleaning grave sites and planting flags.

For most it kicks off the official start of summer and usually folks throw a BBQ.  For me personally, it remind me of the yearly parade at that end of my road growing up.  Being in the parade was the worst says you had to get to the high school early, line-up and wait to get the parade going, then walk a decent distance on a generally warm day in a baseball uniform. 

On that note, I'm going back to bed for another hour or so.  The GD birds started going ape$h!t around 5:55am this morning and pretty much just stopped.  I need a water gun filled with bleach to take them out and then I could have a day of remembrance about how they kept waking me up early on weekends.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, no one learns from an angry civics lesson although irate holiday rants are kind of a family tradition. The bleach gun is actually a tradition at your address started by your great grandfather, back when people were a little more accepting of things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true - good points, PMan. Call me Grampy/Grampa John.

    ReplyDelete