Monday, May 28, 2012

33

The Dude just called me to complain about the Celtics/Heat game we are both watching.  On the plus side, I'm not likely to have any regrets about turning in early on this one.  During this time of year, I always think back fondly to watching the Bulls dominate the playoffs throughout the '90s.  My obsession with the Bulls was so intense that my parents used to allow me to make a bed on the couch and watch the games after the rest of the family had gone to sleep.  That was a big deal in a house that was pitch black by about 9:30 each night.  (When I used to stay up to watch "Party of Five" from 9-10 in high school, I was ALWAYS the only one up in the house at the conclusion of each episode.)

My family always rooted against the Bulls.  I remember even my mum getting involved in cheering for the Suns in the '93 finals.  Charles Barkley has turned out to be hilarious, so I am more forgiving of that decision in retrospect.  At the time, I associated him with the "spitting incident."  I had a bedroom that was decked out with a Dream Team poster, a Pippen poster, and a Bulls pennant, so my family's animosity towards the Bulls felt personal.  I won't even repeat my father's nickname for my favorite player.

Regardless of the lack of support for Chicago in my childhood home, I had a blast watching them win six championships.  I nearly named my cat Weasley "Pippen" when I brought him home, but decided to continue the Harry Potter theme I had started with Luna.  I'm glad to say my cousins got a kitten not long after and named him Pippen.  I'm working on assembling a feline version of Dumbledore's Army and they are putting together an all-cat Dream Team with Pippen and Magic.  I approve.


2 comments:

  1. Good blog. Now that time had good, solid basketball. Pippen and Jordan were incredible. I think Rodman would get thrown out in the first 3 minutes of the game if he played these days. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - Normal that our male 13 year old cousin had a Dan Majerle poster above his bed on the ceiling in 1994? Might be the only person in the world to rock that. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete