Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sing Along

I know I am leaning heavily on video clips, but what can I say-- I have a pretty boring life and I think selected movie scenes are more entertaining that stories about my cats.  I have a family wedding coming up this summer and for some reason I started thinking about the scene from My Best Friend's Wedding where the whole group sings "I Say A Little Prayer for You."  I've loved that scene since I saw it at the cinema with my mum fifteen years ago.

There aren't enough opportunities for sing alongs in regular life.  The Dude and our cousins (one of whom is the bride in the family wedding I mentioned) were unabashed public singers during our tape era.  We used to record ourselves first on cassette tapes and then on video tapes when we got together.  I can remember singing the theme to "The Brady Bunch" at the top of our lungs in a McDonald's once.  Other memorable sing alongs were a family rendition of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" at my grandfather and step-grandmother's Christmas party many years ago.  My uncle, Binky, took the "five golden rings" part of that song and sung it in his trademark falsetto.  And the final memory that comes to mind is singing the theme song to "Full House" at the wedding reception of a college friend.  She lived in San Francisco, so adults who had grown up watching TGIF programming were obligated to break into that song while talking about sightseeing around the city.

Here are a few of my favorite movie sing alongs to inspire me and the legion of BLATC readers (a few of Binky's brothers) to make 2012 the year of the impromptu group song:

"I Say a Little Prayer for You" from My Best Friend's Wedding

"Day-O" from Beetlejuice

"Tiny Dancer" from Almost Famous

3 comments:

  1. I still remember the slightly raunchier version of the 'Barney' theme that you, Frank & I came up with on my swing set. Remind me to sing it to you the next time I see you. Unless you remember too, in which case, thank God I'm not the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aerin, I do need you to sing our modified theme song the next time we're together. Although I vaguely recollect composing alternate lyrics with you, I can't remember them. Your swing set was the scene of some weird childhood stuff. I'm thinking of us performing plays on/around it.

      Delete
  2. played Day-O over and over and smiled the whole time. wow, we had fun watching that movie. thanks so much for the blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete