Friday, October 12, 2012

Please sir, I want some more. . . brownies

The little doink below, my cat Neville, ate a $1000 brownie last night.  I usually keep all food sealed up in the cabinets, fridge, oven, or microwave because my cats are very interested in human food.  Neville takes the interest to a new level-- a level better described as Gremlin-like aggression.  Last night I got distracted by the super amazing Halloween decorations that had arrived that day and started looking through them with my mum, who is visiting.  When I popped back into the kitchen I discovered that after offering my mother a brownie, I had forgotten to put them back in the microwave for safekeeping.  Neville the Devil was scarfing one down on the kitchen floor.  The vet emergency line confirmed that I would have to bring him in as chocolate is toxic to cats.  At the time I was cursing Nev because just walking into the animal ER costs $150.  I soon discovered that my concerns for finances and Neville's health were comically unrealistic.  When the veterinarian asked about my wishes for Neville's DNR, I totally lost it.  Big time.  Then I saw the bill, which was just shocking.  As I walked out of the animal hospital, crying like a lunatic, The Dude asked if I was upset because I was worried about Neville or worried about money.  The answer was Neville, but the cost of keeping him in the hospital for the night was a punch to the gut as well.  Assuming he survives this ordeal, Neville will forever be the piggy whose snacking cost me a grand.


1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen you "bawling" in years until that night. God, good think that wasn't Luna, or I would be right there with you.

    ReplyDelete