Friday, June 22, 2012

Boston is way too hot

Unit A/Cs installed in windows are better than nothing, but those with Central AC in the Northeast, let alone Boston area, must be pumped to not be stuck in 1 room the last 3 days.  Especially if the place you live in is older than John McCain's balls and despite having multiple AC units, you can only run 1 at a time due to overloading the circuit breaker.  Awesome.

Speaking of the Heat, big win by Lebron and D.Wade last night.  I knew and called that they would win last night and they did deserve it.  That fact still doesn't change my opinion of Lebron and my general dislike for him and his theatrics, but he is an incredible athlete and player.  Lebron takes a lot of crap from people, but he played well this whole playoff series and proved folks wrong who didn't think he was a clutch player.  I've never doubted Lebron as a player - great skill:  can drive, rip the 3, steal, block, get rebounds, etc.  If he would 100% later flopping/acting, I would have no issue with him.  Unlike a ton of folks, I had no problem with him leaving Cleveland for the Heat.  Like any professional athlete, this is a business and a job for them.  People in real life change jobs to make more $$ or to improve their career track, which is exactly what Lebron did.  Perhaps he should not have held an ESPN special to announce/talk about it, but it was the right move for him career-wise.

Speaking of professional athletes and business/jobs - as much as I like Durant I don't agree with crying after losing.  Pro athletes get paid millions of dollars to play a game, a game kids play for fun and a game grown-ups like myself pay to play to relax, have fun and alleviate stress.  At the end of the day it is just a game they are playing.  People pay a lot of money to go to professional sporting events to be entertained.  People that argue, "these guys worked so hard all season and work hard in the off-season." doesn't cut it for me.  They are doing something for a living that they love, have been doing since a kid and have dreamed of doing.  As a white Irish kid from Central Maine I told my parents for years growing up I was going to be in the NBA.  Not once did I tell them I wanted to work 60 to 60+ hours a week as a Project Manager for a software company.  Go out and ask the next 5 people you know if their current job is something they love doing, have been doing since they were a kid and have dreamed of doing....then ask if they make $20 million a year doing so.  This picture is horrible and embarrassing: 


I wise man once said, "There's no crying in baseball."  That also applies to basketball, or any professional sport or professional athlete for that matter (the only potential exception being Olympic athletes who don't make much, if any $$ and get 1 shot every 4 years).  During an interview yesterday Dave Ortiz from the Sox told a reporter to leave him and the Sox alone with all the drama and crap questions.  He said to the guy this is just a game, they want to go out there and have fun and entertain the fans.  Best quote I've heard from a pro athlete in a while.



3 comments:

  1. Lebron is clearly an amazing athlete. And I have no problem with athletes changing teams. I find it ridiculous that Boston fans, for example, hate Johnny Damon. He helped them win and then moved on to a different career opportunity. I think the Lebron move was touchier since his Akron/Cleveland/Ohio fans had been following him since he was a kid. If he had expressed some regret about leaving the city, the fans, etc. and hadn't announced on TV that he was "taking [his] talents to South Beach," I think the move would have gone over better. He got some bad advice about how to handle the transition from the Cavs to the Heat.

    PS:
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldwhghXsgO1qzyobqo1_500.png

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a collector of the finely-turned phrase and will now be adding "older than John McCain's balls" to my collection.

    I'd mostly agree with Herself on athletes changing teams and I think the recent comments I've from Sox fans about Darnell McDonald are ludicrous - he was unemployed when the MFY signed him, FFS. What's he supposed to do?

    But as for Johnny Damon, I don't find it ridiculous at all. The difference between the Damon move and most money-based moves was twofold:
    1) He went to the MFY, which is 100% percent of the time going to go down like a pair of nun's knickers with Red Sox fans.
    2) The difference between the offers from Boston and New York was trivial - around $2 million over four years. When you're getting $58m does 500 large a year really make that much difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A genuine Red Sox fan here to defend hating Johnny Damon. Here's how closely I follow baseball: I have no idea who Darnell McDonald is. I can't believe I've never been ejected from Fenway for being such a phony fan. At least I've had the good sense not to share my Damon feelings at the park.

      Delete