Monday, April 7, 2014

In Loving Memory of Our Silver Boombox

Growing up at 8 Victor in the '80s, there was a crucial small appliance in our kitchen.  Okay, perhaps a boombox does not qualify as a small appliance, but it was as big as a microwave.  (We did not own a microwave until the late '80s, several years after procuring our cherished boombox.)


The silver boombox was a fixture in our kitchen for probably a full decade.  I remember it balancing on the divider between the kitchen and living room in the mornings while we got ready for school, but apparently it retired to the safer location of the kitchen counter during off hours.

The Dude as a toddler with our dad, The Boss
Herself with Uncle Binky
Our boombox was always tuned to 92 Moose, the pop radio station in Central Maine.  Our mum was a frequent morning caller to The Moose, reporting birthdays and occasionally ending up on air.  She was a hip, hip lady.  I can vividly remember her lip syncing in our kitchen to Nu Shooz's 1986 hit "I Can't Wait."  While there is no denying the appeal of the iPod, I will forever hold a spot in my heart for the clunky radio/cassette player that provided the soundtrack to my family's lives during my first and favorite decade.


3 comments:

  1. Pretty sure my dad still has our silver boombox in the garage or basement. And still uses it.
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dad made the right choice hanging onto the boombox!

      Delete