Thursday, April 3, 2014

Good Times Were Had

I really enjoyed seeing The Book of Mormon with The Dude last night.  We hit my favorite Thai restaurant for dinner before the show and then experienced a solid few hours of entertainment.  The songs were catchy and clever and the show was very funny, which was no surprise as it was created by the "South Park" guys.  One of my favorite elements of The Book of Mormon was noting the homages to other musicals throughout the show.  Having just reminisced on this blog about some of my favorite musicals, I was delighted to see numbers that referenced "The Small House of Uncle Thomas" from The King and I, "Ya Got Trouble" from The Music Man, "I Have Confidence" from The Sound of Music, "Tomorrow" from Annie, and "Hakuna Matata" from The Lion King.  I know there were many other references that I missed due to lack of familiarity with some shows.  I also noted that ballads about the dream of moving to a new city are consistently my least favorite part of the musicals in which they are featured. I've always hated the "Santa Fey" number in both Newsies and Rent and last night I could have done without "Sal Tlay Ka Siti."

Here is "I Believe" from The Book of Mormon-- with a bonus intro by Stephen Colbert.


1 comment:

  1. Surprised they had one of the lamer songs on the award show.

    ReplyDelete