Monday, February 24, 2014

So Long, Egon Spengler

Since The Dude returned to the blog, three of his four posts have been remembrances of recently deceased actors.  I think Philip Seymour Hoffman was one of the greatest modern actors and I share fond memories of Sid Caesar in Grease, but a comment on The Dude's tribute posts seemed enough for me in those cases.  In the case of Harold Ramis, I need to write my own brief post.  Like any child of the '80s, I loved Ghost Busters.  I also really enjoyed Stripes and I think Groundhog Days is kind of a masterpiece.  My dad gave me a volume of The New Yorker a decade ago, pointing out an article on Harold Ramis that I should read.  That article reinforced my affection for him and my long-standing crush on him.  I strongly recommend any Ramis fan take the time to read it.  He comes across as smart, funny, and interesting.  I'm sorry that I won't have the opportunity to experience any more of his work.  I'm also sorry that, as far as I know, he and Bill Murray never reconciled.  Their collaborations were so darn good.



Edited to add:
1) I read that Bill Murray visited Harold Ramis before he passed, which warms my heart.

2) I should have included at least one classic Ramis clip.

3) Colbert on Harold Ramis.  Dang if I don't have a type.

The Colbert Report
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Video Archive

1 comment:

  1. Didn't realize him and Bill were still heated at each other. Wow, that is sad and lame.

    ReplyDelete