Monday, February 3, 2014

Reading Rainbow

Half way through 2013, I decided to keep a list of books I had read.  Since the list is mostly composed of books borrowed from the library, I haven't been able to pass many of them on to my usual chain of fellow readers that includes my dad, my nana, and a couple of my uncles.  Too bad, because a few of these books were phenomenal. (The books in bold were my favorites of the bunch.  And The Mountains Echoed was my favorite of all twenty.)

Approximately June - December 2013
Where’d You Go, Bernadette - Semple, Maria
The Fault in Our Stars - Green, John
Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand - Simonson, Helen
Lone Wolf - Picoult, Jodi
Run - Patchett, Ann
The Honey Thief - Graver, Elizabeth
Divergent - Roth, Veronica
Insurgent - Roth, Veronica
The Spectacular Now - Tharp, Tim
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children - Riggs, Ransom
Gone Girl - Flynn, Gillian
Tell the Wolves I’m Home - Brunt, Carol Rifka
The Interestings - Wolitzer, Meg
Beautiful Ruins - Walter, Jess
Last Orders - Swift, Graham
The Dive from Clausen’s Pier - Packer, Ann
I Feel Bad About My Neck -Ephron, Nora
And the Mountains Echoed - Hosseini, Khaled

2014
The Death of Vishnu - Suri, Manil
The Big Over Easy - Fforde, Jasper

Four of the books on my 2013 list (The Fault in Our Stars, Divergent, Insurgent, and The Spectacular Now) are being made into movies starring Shailene Woodley, while Ansel Elgort and Miles Teller will be featured in three.  What can I say-- I'm a sucker for young adult material even though I aged out of that demographic a very long time ago.  I actually found Veronica Roth's series to be pretty weak.  I read the first book during my summer vacation at the lake and was satisfied to not continue with the series.  Then the very day I returned to work, Insurgent was a "featured book" on a library shelf I walk past to get to my office.  I felt compelled to read that, though I haven't sought out the third and final installment yet.  I heard Allegiant is a disappointing conclusion, but as soon as it shows up in my small work library, I'll probably give it a whirl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment