Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Lost the faith, thanks a lot, Bruins/UBri

The Boston Bruins lost in a pathetic fashion 4-0 to the Montreal Canadiens last night.  And yes, Canadiens in the frenchy NHL team sense is spelled differently than the group of folks who live up north, Canadians.  After the Bruins gave up a terrible goal right off the bat in the first period, I knew they were going to lose the game and quasi lost my mind temporarily.  I went into the bathroom and shaved off five weeks worth of beard growth.  I had a basketball game last night, so I put the embarrassing Bruins game on pause and played bball with a freshly shaven face.  The thing about not shaving for a while is that your face becomes sensitive to the razor, especially when the shaving was done in a hastily, coupled with a lack of shaving cream.  My face was as red as Santa's ass and as itchy as the Easter Bunny's pubes.  Despite showering both last night after ball and this morning, the face is still recovering from the sudden clean shave.  I'm basking in a softball size amount of moisturizer right now and cursing myself for not having a beard in May/during hockey playoffs for the first time in nine years.

My "lunch break" today while working from home will consist of a quick haircut and the purchase of more facial moisturizer.  I have a basketball game tonight at 8:15pm that might be the death of my baby face good looks.

One note on basketball - the phrase, "ball don't lie" might be my least favorite basketball phrase ever.  I'm a bit rusty at free throws and am shooting a lame 40% from the line.  In my Monday night league, that gets yelled whenever someone misses a foul shot.  I understand the origin of the phrase, how it can sometimes make sense and be pertinent to a situation, but not every time someone misses a foul shot.  I realized how old I am and how outdated my references are when I blocked the "ball don't lie" guy later in the game and yelled, "meal".  Kid was confused and no one on the court really knew what that meant.  Somehow that isn't a phrase or common now?  Probably should keep the 1995 Central Maine Flem family pick-up lingo to myself next game.  Thanks a lot, Uncle Bri.



2 comments:

  1. No one crafts a simile quite like you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As brave as a fox and crazy like a lion were coined by me.

      Delete