Sunday, July 8, 2012

Five Movies

I am sitting here with The Muppets playing in the background.  Easily my favorite movie from the past year.  I have high hopes for Moonrise Kingdom, but I won't see that until it becomes available on Netflix.  Here are the last five movies I watched:

Warrior (2011) A drama about two brothers who are mixed martial arts fighters.  The Dude really liked this one but I wasn't as wild about it.  I gave it a 3 out of 5.
The Woodmans (2010) A documentary about deceased artist Francesca Woodman and her family.  I hadn't heard of Woodman.  I think I would have really liked her photography and her story in my late teens/early 20s when I went through a phase of only listening to artists who had killed themselves (Elliott Smith, Nick Drake, and Jeff Buckley, who didn't commit suicide, but did die tragically young.)  Her parents annoyed me in their interviews though.  3

A Bag of Hammers (2011)  This independent movie about con artist buddies started off trying to be a comedy and then shifted into a drama.  It wasn't especially successful at either.  A low 3.
We Were Here (2011)  A documentary about the AIDS crisis in San Francisco.  Very affecting and just so so sad, although the stories of care taking and friendship were inspiring.  4
21 Jump Street (2012) There are very few funny movies that come out each year.  This one made me laugh a bunch.  Jonah Hill is obviously a funny dude, but I was impressed with Channing Tatum.  His delivery was solid.  4

1 comment:

  1. Couple of good flicks on there.

    FYI - I gave The Warrior a 4 and 21 Jump Street a 5.

    ReplyDelete