Thursday, July 12, 2012

Family Matters

This isn't a post about Urkel, but rather an umbrella for some family business. 

1)  One of my maternal cousins who lived abroad with her husband for several years and now resides on the west coast has RSVPed that they will attend a family wedding next month.  My mum's side of the family doesn't get together often enough and I am genuinely jazzed to have this opportunity to celebrate and catch up.

2)  I have been having some "Sunrise Sunset" moments this summer, realizing that a few of my paternal cousins have grown up to be just as hilarious as our dads.  I am way older than these kids (okay, young adults/actual legit adults. . . ahhhh!!!) but several are now in their early 20s and are absolutely killing me with their comments in person and via emails.  My father and his five brothers are some of the funniest people on the planet, so it only makes sense that the humor has trickled down to the next generation, but I am still so amused when a young cousin busts out a remark that could have come directly from my dad or uncle's mouth.

3) I started off this post thinking I'd give it a cousin-related title.  The Patty Duke Show theme song popped into my head, though I only really knew the, "They're cousins, identical cousins" part.  So I looked up the lyrics, and good gracious.  The Patty/hog dog part is classic.

Meet Cathy, who's lived most everywhere,
From Zanzibar to Barclay Square.
But Patty's only seen the sights
A girl can see from Brooklyn Heights --
What a crazy pair!

But they're cousins,
Identical cousins all the way.
One pair of matching bookends,
Different as night and day.

Where Cathy adores a minuet,
The Ballet Russes, and crepe suzette,
Our Patty loves to rock and roll,
A hot dog makes her lose control --
What a wild duet!

Still, they're cousins,
Identical cousins and you'll find,
They laugh alike, they walk alike,
At times they even talk alike --

You can lose your mind,
When cousins are two of a kind.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that's me (at least, the husband is)! I'm really looking forward to getting back out your way.

    ReplyDelete