Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pretty incredible story

I saw this article on Yahoo headlines this afternoon as I was wrapping up work.  It is about a burn survivor who appeared on the cover of Australian's 'Women Weekly' magazine.  I read the article below and became more curious about this woman and her struggle/journey.

Turia Pitt Yahoo Headlines article

I Googled Turia and came across her 60 Minutes segment from a few years back.  The whole thing is very inspirational and amazing.  Not only did Turia recover from severe burns over 70% of her body, but she got back into tip top shape, overcoming newly grown/tight skin and a complete lack of muscles.  The physical and mental pain she had to overcome is astounding.  An article and story like this really makes you take a step back in your life and realize sweating the small stuff/getting upset or stressed over minor issues is not worth it.

Part 1 of the 60 Minutes segment




Part 2 of the 60 Minutes segment



Couple of other points:

  • The Owner/Founder woman of Race the Planet is a complete dipshit.
  • The idiom, "beauty is only skin deep" has been said many times in song lyrics, movies, poems, etc - definitely not a new phrase to me.  Oddly enough I can remember my Mom saying that to me in different terms when I was as young as 14 years old.  She told me to always make sure when you are with someone you care for them as a person, their personality, feelings, sense of humor and not just how they look.  Her big thing was, "What if you or the person was in a car accident or fire and you were paralyzed or disfigured?  The love you have for that person and they have for you should be strong enough to keep you together."  I never really understood the gravity of what she was saying at the time/as a teenager and just said, "sure/yep" to acknowledge I was listening to my Mom.  Seeing Turia and Michael's true life story that outlines my Mom's philosophy makes me appreciate things that she taught me that I wouldn't understand (but would remember) until later in life. 
  • I think I'm becoming a bit sensitive in my 30s.  What the?!  I guess I deserve it after living the majority of my 20s as a pompous d-bag.

2 comments:

  1. I can't read the article or watch the clips yet because I am guaranteed to be an emotional, weepy mess in my office. Will check them out tonight.

    I like the shout out to Mum's lesson. I definitely remember her saying that to us many, many times and it obviously made an impact on both of us. Good parenting, Trish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you will cry, man - I 0% did. Just a good/touching story.

      100% agree on that one with Mom. At least she did SOMETHING right. JK, Trish.

      Delete