Friday, July 11, 2014

Swift Kick to the Crackers

Today started off so well:
1) Friday.  The best day.
2) Fantastic weather.  Neither too hot, nor too humid.
3) Large family party scheduled for the weekend.

All of the ingredients were in place for this to be a fantastic day.  Then I got out of bed.  Seven buses drove by my stop this morning without stopping.  I stayed zen because, hey, it is Friday, the weather is beautiful, and I have a book to read.  As you can imagine, I arrived at work late.  Fridays in the summer are a little slower in the office as a lot of people utilize vacation days to take long weekends.  I decided I would make the most of a quiet morning and do some automobile insurance investigating.  I had called the company with whom I have home insurance and had gotten nutty quotes from them twice.  I decided the third time would be a charm.  It was more like three strikes, you're out.  I was given the same outrageously high quote, which is over three times the average for my zip code and three times what any of my friends in Boston are paying.  A friend had given me the name of her insurance contact at a different company so I decided to give that a whirl.  Their quote was a thousand dollars higher than the previous mind blower.  It seems that because I have never had auto insurance before, my rates are going to be catastrophically high.  Most drivers start out on their parents' insurance as teens and then they have an insurance history by the time they are adults buying their own coverage.  For the small percentage of weirdos who start driving as adults, most can hop on a partner's insurance policy.  So today I learned that I am royally screwed.  Right now auto insurance will cost three times as much as the lease I was hoping to procure.  I launched into a full-blown panic attack at work and went outside to fill the position of inner-city lunatic as I talked on the phone in an "agitated" state with my mum. 

Who needs a car?  Not me.  I am super committed to a vehicle-free life.  Forever.  Problem solved.

I just got back from the ladies' room and while I was washing my hands, I noticed that one of my pearl earrings fell out at some point today.  There are still 9 hours left in this day.  I'm sure the universe is not done with me yet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment