Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Catching Up on Movies

Here's what I've watched since my last movie post:

Enchanted April (1991):  I am a sucker for British costume dramas.  Like season four of "Downton Abbey," Enchanted April focuses on a group of Brits in the 1920s.  The difference is that I love Downton and found the writing and acting in this movie to be painful.  For me to give this type of movie a "2", it must be pretty bad.  In my opinion, it was.


Fruitvale Station (2013):  Real talk-- I feel uncomfortable criticizing a movie about the final day of a young African-American man who was shot point-blank in a San Francisco subway station by a police officer while he was lying on the ground unarmed.  I have loved Michael B. Jordan since he was Wallace in "The Wire" and Vince on "Friday Night Lights," but I didn't love this movie.  3 out of 5


The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013):  Catching Fire is my favorite of the Hunger Games books and I had heard that this movie was really good.  It had a lot to live up to and totally delivered.  It has been a few years since I read the books so I was surprised by a few characters and plot points I had forgotten.  I am looking forward to watching this movie again. 4 out of 5 (a high 4)


In a World... (2013):  This was a pleasant movie with a good cast.  I enjoyed it.  4 out of 5


Mary and Max (2009):  This strange animated movie is decidedly not for kids.  It is the story of a sad Australian girl and her sad pen pal in New York City, a man with Asperger Syndrome.  I don't know if I was more won over by the Australian accents or the bleak color palette and depressing lives of the characters.  I think a lot of people would be put off by this movie, but I liked it.  3 out of 5


Now You See Me (2013):  This was a decent thriller.  I didn't feel like watching it was a waste of time, but I wouldn't be particularly tempted to tune in if I came across it in a few years on TV.  3 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Loved Hunger Games and Now You See Me. Wasn't a Fruitvale Station fan, either. Looking forward to About Time and Captain Phillips this week.

    ReplyDelete