Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cleaning House

Holy smokes, I haven't posted since before Thanksgiving.  Thanks to The Dude for keeping things afloat.  Here is a quick round up what I've seen since I last checked in with my very brief movie reviews.  Right now I'm really looking forward to seeing The Hobbit in theaters next week.


I spent the duration of this movie wondering if Michelle Williams's character Margot was mentally challenged.  To be fair, I have a natural aversion to anyone but my cousin who speaks in a baby voice.  (Thankfully my cousin's "baby voice" sounds nothing like a baby.)  The presence of Seth Rogen and Sarah Silverman didn't even add much humor to this movie.  On the plus side for those who care, there is plenty of full frontal on display in a shower scene featuring Williams and Silverman.  It occurs right after Margot takes a whiz in a pool during a geriatric aquatic aerobics class and includes a number of elderly ladies, so yeah, it is pretty sexy.  I really didn't like this movie.  I gave it a 2 out of 5 because I feel like a 1 should make me sick with hate, like The Silence of the Lambs, which I will never be able to un-see.

This was disturbing.  I knew it was about a woman escaping from a cult, but I didn't know that it was a violent, Manson Family-type cult.  If I'd had that bit of information, I probably would have skipped this.  The Olsen twins' little sister Elizabeth did well in the lead role of the truly disturbed Martha/Marcy May/Marlene.  People who enjoy psychological thrillers and aren't horrified by onscreen violence would probably enjoy this more than I did.  3/5.

Contraband was a decent action movie.  I generally like Mark Wahlberg and there weren't any glaring plot holes, so 3/5.  Oh, and also a weird bayou Giovanni Ribisi.  Bonus.

I have a bit of a girl crush on Emily Blunt.  She is just so good and natural in every role.  This was a quintessential "3"-- it was pleasant to watch but I probably wouldn't stop to watch it again if I saw it on TV in a few years.

I high hopes for Magic Mike, but it didn't quite deliver.  For some reason I thought this would be one of Steven Soderbergh's "fun" movies like Out of Sight or Ocean's Eleven, but there wasn't much joy in this movie at all.  How a movie featuring choreographed group dance/strip routines could fail to put a smile on my face, I shall never know.  Channing Tatum did a fine job as the title character, but "The Kid" was unlikable and The Kid's sister/Tatum's love interest was bland.  Matthew McConaughey (will there ever be a day when I don't have to look up the spelling of his last name?) got a lot of attention for the role of Dallas, but I just didn't *get* it.  Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for this movie.  3/5

The preview of this movie had me very excited.  I am obsessed with Christmas and love Christmas movies.  But Arthur Christmas won't end up breaking into my holiday movie must-see list.  It was a sweet movie though, and I suspect that if I had seen it as a child, it may be one that I would revisit each year.   3/5

I fell asleep during this Will Ferrell/Zach Galifianakis movie.  What the heck.   I did go back and finish this one out, but it was disappointing.  I think Ferrell and Galifianakis are two of the funniest comedic actors around and Jason Sudeikis is usually great too (GD Greek names-- I had to look them both up), but this one just didn't do it for me.  I got a few laughs out of this movie, but it wasn't anything special.  3/5

This was a sweet little independent movie with an unexpected ending.  The cast was pulled from "Parks and Recreation", "New Girl", and "The League", so obviously I was going to check this out.  Another 3, though I will say a high 3.

I love Wes Anderson movies.  Love them.  The opening of Moonrise Kingdom, just the first few minutes of shots around the Bishops' home, had me swooning.  The detail of the set design in Anderson movies is to die for.  Suzy Bishop reminded me of a young Margot Tenenbaum, which was fantastic.  The Royal Tenenbaums is my favorite Anderson movie, but I wasn't as wild about it the first time I saw it.  I liked it more and more upon repeated viewings and now it is one of my favorite movies.  I suspect I may have the same experience with Moonrise Kingdom, because it is only a 4/5 after seeing it once.  But at this very moment I would like to re-watch Edward Norton's morning walk through his scouts' camp site or listen to Jason Schwartzman's discussion of marriage with twelve-year-old children.  So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment