Monday, November 5, 2012

This and That

1) It is always such a drag to set the clocks back as Daylight Saving Time ends.  I would much rather have dark mornings and a sliver of sunlight when I exit my office for the day.  Sunset at 4:30pm is shocking every fall.  In addition, my cats don't care about the time adjustment and are extra annoying at this time of year.

2) I watched two movies this weekend.  Like Crazy was awful.  The characters were unsympathetic and the plot moved along at the speed of a glacier.  I think it was aiming to be Before Sunrise for a new generation, but it missed the mark.  I love Before Sunrise, and the sequel Before Sunset, but I gave Like Crazy two out of five stars.  The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel may have benefited from following such a dud.  It featured a bunch of likable British actors playing (mostly) likable British folks who move to India for their retirement years.  I think the quality of the cast elevated the material, but it was a nice breezy movie.  Four out of five stars.

3) A few of my favorite TV shows had stellar episodes last week.  The Jack/Liz debate on "30 Rock" included probably my favorite bit of dialog from the very quotable series.  When Liz referenced Scottie Pippen in her debate against Jack, I got super excited.  But Jack's response delighted me beyond reason:

"Miss Lemon, I know Scottie Pippen.  I own a Fuddruckers with Scottie Pippen, and you, sir, look like Scottie Pippen."

I also thought that "The Big Bang Theory" presented its strongest episode of the season.  The following discussion between Sheldon and Leonard was the highlight of the episode:


And finally, "Modern Family" was very funny this week too.  Big week for sitcoms, though it would have benefited from "Parks and Rec" airing a new episode.  That show rarely disappoints.

4) I didn't blog much last week in part because my parents were visiting.  A week ago we were riding out Sandy (which ended up being a bit of a non-event in Boston) together at my place.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery for my mum, who had surgery last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment