Monday, November 19, 2012

Addictive Foods via Yahoo

Yahoo just released an article on the 10 Most Addictive Foods.  I have a big problem with their list - some of the foods I can't imagine how they made the list and the others I don't really agree with.  Let's have a look at the list.

10. White Bread
I might be the only person in a group at a restaurant who doesn't get tight in the pants when a basket of bread with some oil or butter is put on the table.  No taste to bread and just a waste of room.  Save that stomach space for the steak, toolbags.

9. Donuts
BOOM!  Love donuts, but only #9?  Way too low on the addictive scale.  Have they tried Krispy Kremes?

8. Pasta
The article talks about pasta covered in butter, salt and cheese, not actual meat sauce.  I dislike about 90% of the pasta items out there and once again put it into the bread/rice/pasta grouping of wasted space.

7. Cake
Never been a sweets guy and don't enjoy cake, even on my bday, unless its white on white and even then I'm "ehh" on it.  Last 2 weddings I've been in/to I've skipped/latered the cake.  Doesn't do it for me, bring back out the bacon covered scallops, please.

6. Chips
My #1 most favorite snack of all-time.  In the last 5 years I've only gone 3 days without chips (yes, I've kept track) and its very sad how enjoyable they are to me.  A quick trip to CVS or 711 to score a solid bag of chips can make a death in the family seem like a bump in the road.  I'm shocked chips are only #6 on this list.

5. Cookies
See cake - not into sweets.  I do enjoy Lemon Cooler cookies, some sugar cookies and some peanut-butter cookies.  Overall, 0% ever buy cookies for myself.

4. Chocolate
Shouldn't this be lumped in with cake or cookies?  Never understood the whole women and chocolate thing.  It always shocked me growing up in movies and TV how women would drop a deuce over a piece of chocolate or a box of chocolate.  Come to find out, it is 70% true on how some women react to it.  I don't see the appeal of a pure chocolate bar like Hersheys.  Snickers, maybe.

3. French Fries
Big time - love these and just started buying frozen fries (steak fries or seasoned fries) recently.  Not sure why I never bought fries for myself before, but if I've always enjoyed a good fry.

2. Candy
Very broad, don't agree with the ranking, but I can see it being in the top 10 for sure.  I really don't get too down with the candy, but I will still hit up some Sour Patch Kids, Gummy Worms, etc if given the chance.  Does gum count as candy?  Bubbilicious Watermelon and Strawberry gum should be considered candy. 

1. Ice Cream
This one blows my mind - never been an ice cream guy.  Used to go to a local ice cream shop where I grew up just to see this girl I was into and got ice cream some of the times.  Thank God they had bubble gum ice cream (see candy) cause ice cream does nothing for me, even in the summer.

OK - after the analysis and commentary on the Yahoo ranking, here is my ranking:

10. Kid Snacks/Fruit Snacks
This includes Fruit roll-ups, Gushers and the like - always enjoyable. 

9. Steak/Steak Tips
Not necessarily addictive as other foods, but preferred over many options if available. 

8. Mashed Potatoes
The older I get the more I appreciate mashed potatoes.  Great side dish that can really be paired with any main course.  I've always rocked mashed potatoes as a main dish as well.  

7. Cheese
This is a broad one, but for me it incorporates nacho cheese, cheddar cheese, cheese dip of all kinds, etc.  Those pair well with a lot of my other addictive items on this list.

6. Bacon
Bacon can go on anything and can be eaten for any meal of the day.  Always been a big fan, but tough to make on my own, which is why it ranks so low.

5. Donuts
I got really into donuts working in NYC between 2009 and 2011. 

4. Fries
Restaurant fries or frozen fries - game on.

3. Buffalo Wings/Fingers
These are a staple in my freezer and a great appetizer.

2. Pizza
How did pizza not make the Top 10 ranking?  Holy crap, it was tough to decide between pizza and chips as the #1, but they are damn close.  I can slam down a large pizza with ease. 

1. Chips
I can't think of any chip flavor I dislike, although I don't care for pickle.  I know more about chips than most folks and have spent time researching brands, flavors and history. 

4 comments:

  1. This may be my favorite blog post you've written. God, hilarious. Your personal top three weren't even a question for me. I didn't realize you were so into doughnuts though. I've learned a little something. I also love the reference to Smiley's Bubblegum ice cream. I can't remember you ordering any other kind during our entire childhood/adolescence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food really motivates me - realized my blogs are about food, sports, TV/movies. I'm living the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flipping fabulous blog Ry. Love love love your list. Where do the beef jerkys fit in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point on the beef jerky SLASH slim jims, Trish. They would definitely be up there, just forgot.

    Going forward, please use my pseudonym, The Dude when addressing me in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete