Monday, September 17, 2012

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

This past weekend kicked off the 100 Days Until Christmas countdown.  I celebrated last night by watching While You Were Sleeping before bed.  As expected, it made my heart grow three sizes, Grinch-style.  If I had a religion, it may have to be the worship of Christmas, as it incorporates all of my favorite things-- family, friends, food, fabulous decorations, parties, nostalgia, tradition, and presents.  Few things fill me with peace and happiness quite like Christmas.  While the rest of the country complains that stores are decorated too early and radio stations play holiday music too soon, I usually start getting full-on Christmas-y in October.  As my waistline illustrates, moderation is not my strong suit.  (Bonus-- with rosy cheeks and a jelly belly, I am well on my way to making a killer Mrs. Claus.)

So in honor of my beloved childhood home, the former 8 Victor Terrace, here are my eight favorite Christmas movies, arranged by their release dates.  (Televised holiday specials of the Rankin-Bass variety will be included in a separate list.)


A Christmas Story (1983)
You'll shoot your eye out.
This movie has so many iconic scenes and memorable lines.  Everyone remembers Ralphie in his pink bunny suit, Flick with his tongue stuck to the frozen flag pole, and The Old Man unpacking his treasured leg lamp from the box labeled "fra-gee-lay." 

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
Christmas Vacation reminds me of my uncle, who is known as "Clark" around the holidays because of his over-the-top Christmas decor.  He and my aunt decorate at least four Christmas trees at their house each year.  About a month ago, my aunt quoted "THE BLESSING" from the dinner scene and we couldn't stop laughing about it all night.  If you've seen the movie and know the voice of the grisly old man who says it, you'll understand.  Anyhow, you can't go wrong with Randy Quaid in this classic, can you?

Home Alone (1990)
Easily one of my favorite Christmas movies.  Of all time.  Easily.  I know that a high-brow list would have included It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street, but I have to be honest.  My list trends less toward the classics and more towards Christmas movies that feature acts of violence.  (Honorable mention holiday movie-- Die Hard).  I saw Home Alone in the theater and I've watched it many times every holiday season since then.  My family usually watches it during Thanksgiving weekend to kick off the Christmas season and I have it playing each year as I assemble and decorate my (artificial) tree.  Part of the perfection of this movie is that Macaulay Culkin is my age and this movie nicely captures the era in which I was a kid.  This is a movie that most people my age have seen dozens of times.  I mean, if there is anyone around age 30 who can utter the phrase, "Keep the change" without adding, "ya filthy animal". . . well, I don't want to know that person.  I love the chaos of the many McCallisters at the beginning of the movie ("When I grow up and get married, I'm living alone!"), the arc of Kevin and Old Man Marley becoming friends, concluding with Mr. Marley reuniting with his son and granddaughter (tear), and the appearance by John Candy as Gus Polinski, "Polka King of the Midwest."  I love that Uncle Frank is such a d-bag and that if I were to have children they would call The Dude "Uncle Frank" even though that isn't his name.  This movie has permeated my life.  I can't buy a toothbrush without fighting the urge to ask the check-out person if it is approved by the American Dental Association.  I can't order a pizza without thinking (and sometimes saying), "A lovely cheese pizza, just for me."  I have a photo from last Christmas of The Dude and several cousins doing the Kevin McCallister after-shave face (featured above) and regardless of the destination of anyone's trip or vacation, I always ask them to "bring me back something French."  Also, as an adult I have become obsessed with the McCallister home, which is crazy gorgeous.  This movie is so comforting to me.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)
Okay, do I love this movie as much as the original?  No, I guess I don't.  But I still like it a whole lot.  The bird lady is a nice replacement for Mr. Marley and I have always wanted to get two turtle dove ornaments and split the set with a friend (or a homeless person.)  I also enjoy the character of Mr. Duncan and really really wanted to visit Duncan's Toy Chest/FAO Schwartz even though I was approaching my teen years when this movie came out.  I mentioned that I usually have Home Alone playing when I get my tree together each year.  Well, it takes me forever to pull apart the branches and then decorate, so I definitely make my way to Home Alone 2 before the tree is perfected.

While You Were Sleeping (1995)
Sandra Bullock at her most likeable plus Sandy Cohen from "The OC", Frank Barone from "Everybody Loves Raymond", Mrs. Banks from Mary Poppins, and Monica Keena before she messed up her face. Oh yeah, and Bill Pullman.  There aren't many solid romantic comedies that take place at Christmas.  This one is a keeper.  And like Home Alone, it takes place in Chicago and kind of makes me want to spend Christmas there. 

Elf (2003)
Smiling's my favorite!
Just like the last three movies, I saw this in the theater.  And LOVED IT.  So much.  Elf was pretty much created especially for me.  Christmas plus Will Ferrell?  Perfection.  By the time the old-timey opening credits roll, I have a huge smile on my face.  This movie is adorable and funny and was an immediate classic.

Love Actually (2003)
Okay, I said there aren't many Christmas romantic comedies and the final two both are.  I like Love Actually more than I probably should.  It has some very sweet storylines but those are mixed in with some really depressing ones (sucks to be Emma Thompson and Laura Linney).  For some reason this movie works for me.  It features half of the British actors on the planet, so there's a decent Harry Potter overlap, and since I've seen it multiple times, I am free to skip through the less compelling storylines. 

The Family Stone (2005)
If the sad threads from Love Actually nearly knocked it from contention, it is a miracle that The Family Stone makes my list.  It only wraps up with my biggest fear (spoiler alert): the death of a parent.  Good God.  This movie makes me cry.  But the actors playing the Stones are so realistically comfortable with each other and the family house is so gosh darn beautiful that it pulls me in.  And I relate a little too much to Rachel McAdams' giant B sister.

4 comments:

  1. Love Home Alone, ELF, Love Actually and Home Alone 2, The Family Stone - in that order. I'm not a Xmas Vacation or Xmas Story guy for some reason. Too played-out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Actually before Home Alone 2?! Whaaaaaat?! That is weird to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you going to be around Maine for the holidays? I would LOVE to watch Elf and Love Actually with popcorn and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aerin! I'm not sure if/when I'll be in Maine around Christmas. For the first time ever, we aren't having Christmas at my parents' place. I might be up the weekend right before Christmas, but it would probably be for about 24 hours to hit a family Christmas party or two. If the plans change at all, I will definitely let you know. A holiday movie session with you would be fabulous.

      Delete